The first time I made this:Today's Menu
Pantry Pot Pie
Tonight is "Clean the Fridge or Freezer Dinner"other wise known as Pantry Pot Pie.... This is the one you use up stuff before the money you spent last week/moth really goes outthe door.. in your trash bag.
The shopping for this was easy, and only because hubby asked for it. I knew I'd have meat and stuff left over somewhere.
1 bag stew veggies - mine had potatoes, celery, pearl onions and carrots ($2.26 using 1/2 = $1.13)
- I used left over roast from Easter. Today I am using pork cutlets that I need to use before they freezerburn.
- I used a 13x9 pan (due to amount of leftovers). Tonight I have a left over pie crust (from the quiche) and want to use it before IT freezerburns.
- Cut meat into bite size pieces.
- Brown in with a little oil.
- If you are using HARD fresh veggies, add them now: potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc
- Add water until just covered and simmer until tender, adding water as necessary.
- Whisk together 1 packet brown gravy mix into 1/2-1 cup of cold water (how saucy do you want it?) and add to pot.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Put into baking vessel (pie crust or pan)
- Pour POT PIE BREAD CRUST (recipe below) evenly over the top ofthe filling and bake at13x9 = 425 for 30-35 minutes or pie plate = 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Adding a 1/2 recipe and an original so you have what you need depending on your pan size.
Half recipe/One pie shell -- (Full recipe/13x9 pan)
- 1/4 c + 2T melted butter -- (calls for 3/4 c butter)
- 3/4 c milk -- (calls for 1 1/2 c milk)
- Whisk above together briskly.. will look odd because you're adding cold to warm
- 3/4 c + 2T Flour -- (calls for 1 3/4 flour)
- 1/2 t salt -- (calls for 1 t salt)
- 3/4 t pepper -- (calls for 1 1/2 t pepper)
- 1 1/2 t baking POWDER -- (calls for 3t baking soda)
- Whisk milk/butter mixture in.. will be almost corn bread consistency or thinner
- Pour over filling and bake 13x9 = 425 for 30-35 minutes or pie plate = 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown
printer friendly version