The first thing my 11 yr old noticed that got us both giggling was that it's more of a yellow and green faux-sagna because of all the broccoli, spinach, and my colby jack obession! But we did sneak a bit and we lovedthe taste. I can't belive that just a few months ago she would cry about eating if she knew spinach was in a dish and now she's begging for bites before it's even done!
Using leftovers (chicken/broccoli) saves a ton, but we bought everything so it was a whopping (not!) 75¢ per serving, lol! and that was doubling to put one in the freezer as well :)
- 1 c cooked diced or shredded chicken
- 1 c frozen broccoli thawed to warm and chopped small
- 1 c frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 1/2 lbs noodles cooked and drained
- 1/4 c oil
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 c milk
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1/2 t salt and pepper
- 2 c grated cheese (still loving colby jack here!)
- Cook noodles according to directions on package and drain.
- Make roux by warming flour and oil in a skillet until thickened but not browned.
- Add all remaining sauce ingredients.
- Simmer stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Set aside.
- Combine meat, broccoli, and spinach with drained noodles.
- Layer sauce, pasta mixture, and cheese (two layers) in 8x8 pan.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 20 minutes.
At step # 6/7 Toss it all together and pour into pan.
Continue to step #8